I made the best bolognese then I ruined it.

So I’ve been trying out this vegan life for a few weeks now. How am I finding it? I really bloody love it. There’s something really fun about finding things to eat and when it comes to dinner and I’m excited to see what I’m gonna make that night.

I feel like I need to admit I’ve fallen off the wagon a few times, but hey ho it’s sunny and I want a Mr Whippy when the van comes round. I’d say I’m like 85% vegan i

I thought I’d share one of the meals I’ve made and now love so much.
I made a veggie bolognese, I will say that I’m not a fan meaty bolognese in the first place so I was playing with fire to begin with. I believe I got the recipe from Tesco good food. Which has actually become a really great place to look for recipes, 10/10 would Tesco again.

The ingredients list on the recipe is actually quite extensive and at the time of making it I didn’t have all the ingredients nor like them all (I’m really only referring to the celery here) so my version is a little edited. Another ingredient I didn’t include was red wine, I’m a student who drinks prosecco and cocktails I don’t have the money to buy red wine for the lols, however I do own red wine vinegar so I used that instead.



Whenever I cook I always chop the veg up first. I put Netflix on watch Notting Hill for the 100th time and just start chopping; it’s oddly relaxing if you ask me. The only veg I rarely cut up are onions, I use frozen ones because I don’t want to cry, I don’t want to make my housemates cry and they are a ball-ache to peel. However, I’ve started cooking with fresh onions more. I like to say when I eat I try to add enough onion and garlic to make my breath stink but someone told me they like to see how much they can make their hands smell, I’ve started doing that and I really like.



Once all the veg is done the method of the recipe was really easy to follow. You just pop it all in a saucepan with some tinned tomatoes and herbs, and then you wait. The waiting was the worst part; it was meant to ‘condensed down’ after 45 minutes of stewing but all that had condensed down was my patience. It had been a long day, correction it had been a long St Patricks Day and I was starving therefore when it came to adding the last two wet ingredients I also threw in some cornflour to thicken it all up a bit.



So at this point the bolognese was ready to be eaten, the pasta was just draining and I was starving. I dished it all up, it looked delicious the finishing touch was just a sprinkling of cheese. During this whole vegan experiment I bought vegan cheese. That is where I ruined the Bolognese. So many regrets. The smell, the texture, the taste. Grim. I must admit it was a supermarket own brand vegan cheese so I probably didn’t choose the best one to start off with. Anyway it really added a rough undertone to my bolognese which was really sad because overall it was delicious.

Hands down I would recommend making this recipe and I would now recommend violife cheese because it was a darn sight better than what I had!

I’ve also been playing around with some vegan baking that I’m probs gonna share because it makes me look like domestic goddess and they are really delicious

Don’t forget everything is coming up roses.

NV xx



Comments

Popular Posts