I’m a woman and I asked them out twice.

*Just to say I struggled to find pictures for this so they're all just cute pics of me*


Last week we had international women’s day and being a woman myself I’d been wondering what kind of profound concept I had to share or life changing story to preach. I must admit at the time I had no ideas. I’m a stereotypical girly, my favourite colour is pink and I sleep with a giant unicorn on my bed; I’m probably not the best person to preach about being a woman that breaks societies boundaries.

I think I look really domestic in this picture so I thought the world should see it.

When international women’s day actually arrived I did my usual sassy and uplifting post on Instagram.  This year I posted a cute picture of myself captioned ‘As drunk Niamh once said: I am Niamh, I love the colour pink, I love unicorns and I love myself.’ After I’d posted it I realised that this year I didn’t need to preach anything to anyone because I’ve got a little self-love back in my life.
That’s when it dawned on me.

This is the feel good insta post

Self-love is one of the best things I can preach. Thanks to that bevved night where I realised I kinda love who I am, I’ve done things I wouldn’t usually have the confidence to do. For example at a party I told a guy that my pals and I call him fit *insert name here* now that’s not something I would ever normally do. However it made feel great because this guy looked so happy and it put more of a spring in his step, whenever I see him now he looks so confident.

This is the party where I told the guy he was fit. I'm sorry to my friend for posting this picture cos she thinks it's really bad.

I also sent a little compliant into Nandos. Usually I cannot be asked for the hassle or confrontation with complaining about things but this time I thought to myself ‘what is the worst that can happen? Funnily enough the compliant didn’t even send, but the intent was there and I was really proud that even attempted to send a message.

I’m most proud however is that I asked someone out for coffee.  When I say coffee I mean tea but coffee sounds better and up north tea is another word for dinner so it can all get a little confusing. Anyway it turns out I asked them twice and it actually happened. I’m really proud of myself for doing that. It’s made me feel like a real 21st century woman, cos I can ask someone out for a brew and that’s fine. It made me realise that it’s fine for a gal to ask someone out and it not look, as I would say ‘a bit keen.’ It purely shows you’re interested in a person. It most importantly showed me that the little bit of confidence and self-love I’ve been feeling really does help to push myself outside of my comfort zone and not be scared if it ends badly.

I would however like to put it out there that I might be this new confident 21st century woman but I am not opposed to being wooed. If someone asked me out for Nandos I probably couldn’t say yes fast enough. Thought I’d say in case by any chance one of you reading this wants to date me, the likelihood is low but I just wanted to put it out there.

This is the sassiest picture I own. 

I guess what I’m trying to say is that this year for international women’s day I’m not going to worry about being really feminine. I’m not going to worry about not pursing a more academic or ground breaking career. I’m not going to worry about what people think of me when I wear my tinted glasses. This year I’m going to be happy with this new found appreciation for myself and the doors it opens.

I’m going to go celebrate with a mug of Yorkshire Gold tea. Before I go though, don’t forget everything is coming up roses.

NV xx

Comments

Popular Posts